Recognition for Jo Jo In the Stars
• UK – BAFTA 2004 – Best Short Animated Film
• FRANCE – Cartoon D’Or 2005
• FRANCE – Clermont Ferrand 2004 Best Short Animated film
• FRANCE – Les Lutins du Court-Métrage Press Lutin
• SEOUL – SICAF 2004 2004 Short Film Grand Prize UK –
• UK- Bradford Animation Festival 2004 Grand Prix
• UK –Brief Encounters 2004 – Best of British
• USA – Aspen Shortsfest 2004 Special Jury Prize
• USA – IFCT 2007 Award for Most Innovative Animation
The creation of Jo Jo was indirectly inspired by “The Carny”, a song by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds and was the development of a world Craste had created back in the late 20th century…
The world of PICA TOWERS came to Marc in a fever dream, where he envisaged a mysterious and compelling place, somewhere ‘out there, out beyond the other side’. Marc originally explored this world in three one-minute films, created at Studio AKA, and starring Madame Pica in a circus setting. The films; ‘The Good News’, ‘Hounds Of Flesh’ and ‘Pizza Sangre’ gave us a brief glimpse of the peculiar PICAS, and on the back of these three shorts, Studio AKA then asked Marc to make a longer film using the same characters, “but without any murders”. Jo Jo in the Stars was the result.
The Pica Towers shorts are included below.